The Cairns and District Family History Society Inc was incorporated in 1989 to
further genealogical and family history research in Cairns and its surrounds.
Cairns is located in Far North Queensland, Australia. The Districts covered range
from Cardwell in the south, Normanton in the west and north to the tip of Cape York.
For more information about the history of Cairns visit the
Cairns Historical Society.
The Patron of the Cairns and District Family History Society is the Hon. Desley Boyle MLA.
The objects of the Cairns and District Family History Society Inc are:
- To foster a spirit of friendliness and co-operation and to give assistance to members through mutual sharing of information and techniques and through affiliation with other organisations.
- To promote and develop genealogical research
- To encourage all levels of Government to make the records and archives more readily available to family history researchers.
- To promote the recording, indexing and preservation of genealogically orientated records by microfilming and other suitable means.
- To establish a library and archives for manuscripts, papers and family histories.
- To conduct educational courses in the field of genealogy
- To hold social gatherings, meetings, lectures, and research workshops to promote and encourage the furthering or genealogical work.
- To publish and distribute regular newsletters, genealogical aids, journals and other publications considered desirable for the betterment of the association and its members.
- To acquire real estate and other property of genealogical or historical importance, or necessary for the efficient management of the Association.
"I was trying to find the trial documents for a convict forebear of mine. I knew that he
was tried at the Old Bailey and the year as well as his sentence was seven years transportation. When I accessed that
trial documents of the Old Bailey for that year I found four poor souls with my fellow's name that had been sentenced
to seven years transportation across the seas.
Which one was mine?
With the monitor's help and using the resources at C&DFHS, I was able to locate the convict record
for my fellow. Among the plethora of information about him, I found his Goal Delivery date following his trial. Now I
could establish which trial document was his."
Researcher: Lorraine Santacatterina